Sunday, March 29, 2009

Hiring Yourself: Website design made easy still sucks


This makes the 3rd installment in my little series here about this stupid idea I had that is slowly but surely becoming a pain in the ass. 

After looking over all of my coding platform options and discussing it with my tech consiglieri (again, props to AJ), I've decided to go with Drupal as my platform of choice. This beat out Wordpress, Joomla, and Soapblox for the right to serve my needs. Integral to this choice was the ability to customize the layout and content. A huge plus to this is Drupal's modular design and the amount of support that is out there for it. Drupal developers have created thousands of modules that you can easily integrate into your website. There are hundreds of themes/layouts out there as well, you just have to put it together, customize, and configure. 

Sounds easy right? Well, it was thanks to a great website called Learn by the drop.com. Learn by the drop features some great video tutorials that make it pretty easy to get a quick site going, and I've been using this to slap together a test site that I'm going to use on the 2nd domain that I bought for a resume site. 

This is fantastic until you need to do something outside of what's discussed there. Then its all trial and error and constantly fucking shit up. Which is expected, but when you're fumbling around trying to get a browse button for image upload and you end up breaking things, that's not so fun. This is complicated by a round about administrator interface that seems straight forward but actually isn't. Supposedly, this is being addressed with version 7 of Drupal that is currently in development.

Drupal has a lot of potential for what I want to do. It seems I've lost my ability to pick up new computer things with ease. I'm gonna stick with it though, and try to make progress. More updates to come.

2 comments:

  1. more like Learn From The Droop.com!!

    amiright

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha I doubt I'd go to a site like learn by the droopie.com

    ReplyDelete