Friday, April 3, 2009

You Broke My Fucking Sitar Motherfucker

I was witness to the great one last night, a man by the name of Anton Alfred Newcombe, leader of possibly the greatest rock and roll band of all time, the Brian Jonestown Massacre. Anton was kind of psycho-looking but sedate during the show, but they played a bunch of their best tunes and I dug every second of it. And they still had time to be totally whacky, as, about halfway through, half of the (8 members of the) band left the stage, leaving the drummer, Joel, the bassist, and Anton. The drummer and bassist combined ot play this sinister rhythm while Anton screamed, among other things, "C'mon motherfucker I'm looking for drugs/ain't looking for pussy/ain't looking for love". It was ludicrous, hilarious, and nuts, and I loved it. Additionally, there was this great dude up in the balcony whose silhouette looked like a certain Jeffrey Lebowski (not the millionaire Jeffrey Lebowski) who was super into doing every air instrument that the opening act played (bass, guitar, drums, harmonica, singing) as well as giving the peace and rock on sign rather copiously.

2 comments:

  1. I went back today and listened to a bunch of their stuff that I have, but was never really into to give it another shot. Still, not overly into it. What are your track recommendations for me to listen to to get an idea of why I should appreciate them more?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fave tunes:
    Not if You Were the Last Dandy on Earth
    #1 Hit Jam
    Servo
    Going To Hell
    Oh Lord
    Nailing Honey To The Bee
    Let Me Stand Next To Your Flower
    Hide and Seek
    Ballad Of Jim Jones
    Free and Easy Take 2

    That is probably the most accessible stuff. Most of the tunes above are probably his closest to like classic 60s rock, so I think that is a nice starting point. Some of his other stuff is more droney and slow.

    ReplyDelete