Monday, March 30, 2009

Wiki Challenge: Wrestlers

Our bootleg copy of "The Wrestler" finally worked last night! (We've been trying once a night for about a month) I thought it was super rad. Not just in story and acting but also in the way the wrestling fans and locker room shop-talk was so dead on. I particularly loved "use! his! leg!!"

In any event, I was looking up certain fave wrestlers of mine on my day off and came across some interesting/funny passages that I feel would be good for another wiki challenge. In all honesty I really just wanted to post number 1 but I figured I'd try to expand it and see what else I could find.

As usual, your answers in the comments.

1 - "Garland normally precedes the Worm with a one-handed or two-handed bulldog. With his opponent rendered unconscious and left supine, Garland turns to face the audience, spreads his arms and pumps his legs. Garland then hops on one leg four times, with the audience generally chanting "W", "O", "R", and "M" in succession as his foot hits the ground. Garland then drops to his stomach and performs the "worm" breakdance move three times, slithering towards his still supine opponent. Upon reaching his opponent, Garland rises to his feet, swings his arms from side to side with the audience generally whooping in time with each undulation, before dropping to his stomach and executing a high-impact chop drop on his opponent's chest" I genuinely laughed out loud at this.

2 - "He had his own brand of perfume called "Arrogance", which was kept in a large atomizer and would be sprayed in the eyes of his opponents to blind them. He also wore a Turquoise sportcoat, complete with a large novelty button that read "Yes, I am a [*****]" to the ring." It's hard to find a great quote without the name appearing somewhere.

3 - "In 1996, Hickenbottom posed in a non-nude layout for Playgirl magazine.[152] It was not until after he posed that he discovered that Playgirl has a mostly homosexual readership, which was seen as humorous by his fellow wrestlers" I was gonna "bleep" the name but you should get props for knowing this guy's particularly funny last name.

4 - "Among his regular partners were Tommy Rich (as "TNT"), Dick Murdoch, and Rocky Johnson. He was also the very first man to press slam and pin Hulk Hogan though Hogan's foot was on the rope and the referee didn't see it.[citation needed]" I love this because 6 moths ago it didn't include the part about the leg on the rope..and I imagine the first guy re-visiting and angrily putting in the "citation needed".

5 - "...which culminated in a European title defense at Backlash, which was also billed as the night of [his] prom (he was said to have just earned a GED). [He]defeated Rios after arriving at ringside in a 1957 Chevrolet, even wrestling in his tuxedo pants and a bow tie" Classic.

And for anyone who reads my other blog, sorry about the lack of posts. I promise I'll put up a great big one tomorrow. Cuz..ya know..I got the big one.

count it

5 comments:

  1. Number two has to be Mr. Perfect, and there better be an entry about his TD pass -- to HIMSELF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Hickenbottom is Shawn Michaels real name from when I wiki'd him a couple years back. So that's my guess there.

    Also, I turned on TNT the other night to gundle 2 the grave just in time for that wonderous line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Scotty 2 Hotty

    5. Eddie Guerrero???

    ReplyDelete
  4. 4. Tony Atlas! I think...

    You beat me to the punch on this, luckily almost every wrestler has a ludicrous history.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1 - Scotty 2 Hotty
    2 - Rick "The Model" Martel
    3 - HBK
    4 - Tony Atlas
    5 - Holamebato homes!

    and yeah.. there's definitely enough material out there for more wrestler specific ones. A lot more.

    ReplyDelete