Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A New Era in Late Night

Last night marked Jimmy Fallon's debut taking over for Coney-boy, and if this was a sign of the future, it is indeed a dark and horrifying (and, perhaps more accurately, awkward and unfunny).

A caveat: I never saw the early years of Conan's show, which may not have been amazing. I really don't know. That being said, last night's show was absolutely cringe-worthy. I tuned in a bit late and caught Fallon, who looked like a deer in headlights (seriously, I don't know if he opens his eyes really wide when he's nervous or if someone told him to do that, but it was borderline eerie), bringing out audience members for a rousing game of "Lick it for Ten" (pretty much self-explanatory and about as unfunny as you would imagine). At one point, it was so awkward that I literally groaned out loud. The first guest was DeNiro, who, after they began to speak, I'm convinced was a shitty choice, as DeNiro didn't seem like a particularly talkative dude who could really take over the interview in case Fallon faltered (which, duh, he did). Fallon was hardly amusing, and the only laugh I got was when DeNiro impersonated Fallon, which basically sounded like a retarded girl imitating Jimmy Fallon.

I didn't watch the musical guests (I heard "Justin Ti..." and quickly switched to a little Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives (WOOO)), but I held out little hope of improvement on that night. It really surprised me how nervous Fallon was, considering he is an SNL vet. I think in the end, the show made me appreciate how hard it is to be a good host. Conan had his go-to jokes (audience reactions, hating on himself, hating on the show) that were always good for a laugh, and the guests he had were always interesting in large part because Conan made them feel comfortable, and thus allowed them to express themselves easily.

I wouldn't give up hope on JF yet, but I really hope he improves soon, just for his own sake.

3 comments:

  1. Timberlake was actually funny. The musical guest was Van Morison I believe and J.T. was just there. His John Mayer impression was pretty funny.

    But yeah, Lick it for Ten was retarded and overall the show was pretty bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I held out for last night to see how the second show went with Tina Fey since they already had a working relationship I figured it would be less awkward. Unfortunately, I still found "Solar Attack" far more interesting on SciFi. And that movie was awful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NBC is dying (just look at TV ratings lately). There is WAY too much pressure on Fallen to succeed. I feel like that's a factor in his nervousness.

    ReplyDelete