Thursday, April 16, 2009

Redesigning Education

I'm sitting here watching this TEDtalk about creativity in education and it's got me thinking: how would I redesign my education?



It's an interesting question to ponder. The first thing it brings me to is what didn't I need in school that was forced on me? I can't think of anything. I may not have loved calc but it was valuable. Culinary arts was a throw away elective, but it was elective. So this brings me to a couple questions: what should be included in our educations, what is the goal of our education, and how are things are presented to us/how and why do we change that? 

I'm going to think on this longer, but what do you all think about it? Ken Robinson definitely has a point.

2 comments:

  1. To me, at least for college, shit should be more focused. Why do I have to get D in a lab or chem class as an English major? Or anything other than the most basic math class? I am all for having more well-rounded people, but when it comes to our professions, I think the more focused, the better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's true, if you know what you want to do. So do we look at a master's track as that? Or, do we take survey elements of the undergrad program and move them to high school? One thing I wish that I had was the ability to survey more fields. Geography, enviro sci, sociology, psychology, and communication are courses I would've benefited from ahead of time. I think there's something to be said for having had base in several areas, especially in a liberal arts setting in which most areas of study are intertwined. I almost felt like I didn't have the chance to take everything I wanted and although we were required to take 8 courses in different disciplines, I don't think it was enough really. Although, I suppose you can supplement that at community college or something.

    ReplyDelete