Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Dig It

Here are something various things I've been digging lately:

MUSIC:

Camera Obscura - My Maudlin Career: Still not sure if I'm as into this as their last (awesome album), but it is pretty wonderful, and I love the sound of the drums. The single "French Navy" is a gem.

The Horrors - Primary Colours: This is probably the craziest reinvention I've heard between two albums by a current band. Their first album was raw, retro garage rock and punk. Their second album is beautifully atmospheric and layered shoegaze and it is probably my fave album of the moment.



TV: River Monsters - Probably the raddest show I've seen in awhile, it features Jeremy Wade, some crazy British fisherman, going to various locales to find insanely huge, possibly man-eating fish in fresh water. My favorite part is the majority of the animals so far I never knew about beforehand, but they are super badass. Case in point: this fucking thing.

MOVIES:

There Will Be Blood on Showtime HD (DRAAAAAAAINAGE).

Also, I'm planning on checking out a bunch of good TV series on DVD this summer (current ideas include Sopranos, Rome, Battlestar Galactica, Friday Night Lights). Any other suggestions???

BOOKS:

The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien: Wonderful collection of vignettes about Vietnam that plays with and explores the role of truth in storytelling. Highly recommended.

No Country For Old Men - Cormac McCarthy: I enjoyed the movie more, but I quite liked the book. More philosophical in parts, especially because Tommy Lee Jones' character has quite a few long monologues, but I really appreciated it in the book (in the movie it would have been to much).

5 comments:

  1. Me and Blump were discussing The Wire as a summer DVD TV series binge. He's also going to suck me into Battlestar, but that may take the geek notch to 11 for you. I highly approve of FNL. Let me say, if you can get Breaking Bad, it's a great show (season one and two).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I really want to watch the Wire, and I have bsg season 1 on dvd and it rules. It's less geeky when you look at it as a political drama, which is really what it is.

    Larsen you should start a book club.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Wire and Sopranos are tops in my book. I own all 5 seasons of the wire and season one of the sopranos if you guys want them.

    I also highly recommend Lost. This is something I never thought I'd hear myself say, but it is a great show.

    I need to watch Battlestar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am down for The Wire. I started watching BSG and Lost with my roommate last year, but lost interest in both of them as they got too fuckin crazy. I'm specifically discussing Lost, because once you hit the fourth season, shit goes from wierd to fuckin absurd. Seriously. I recommend it just so that when you get to that point you can be like, what in the fuck... BSG i didn't have too much of a problem with, shit does get a little crazy, but mostly i remember the acting was just a little rough at points.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When Lost is at its best, its as good as (if not better than) anything else. It has weaknesses, but I think a lot of it is the price of ambition.

    ReplyDelete