Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Road trailer looks like it's made of asses

The Road by Cormac McCarthy (of No Country and Blood Meridian [coming soon!!] fame) is one of my favorite books. I was pumped about the movie because, hey, it's a movie of something I like and I am not so pretentious that I whine whenever I hear something is being made into a film.

But this trailer. Oh doctor, does it look awful. They made it look like a damn action flick -- which it is most certainly not. And, (lemme hit ya with a SPOILER ALERT) Charlize Theron plays the mother in the film, who fucking kills herself in a flashback scene and has, at most, two pages devoted to talking about her. But here, she looks like she is there all the time, nagging and bitching. (END OF SPOILERS). Stupid Hollywood.

I am holding out hope that this is good. Cormac has gotta go 2-2 in the adaptation department.

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree. Love the book so much. What is this...The Sum of All Fears?

    I have a feeling this is JUST the trailer though. The director is a proven stud and it has a great cast. Despite how the trailer is cut, the visuals seem pretty worthwhile.

    I haven't given up hope yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend at work sent me an article by somebody who loved the book and they said the movie was amazing. I imagine this trailer is just to try and attract the non-art house crowd, who I imagine will see it regardless. Also, I'm so fucking stoked for Blood Meridian, it is ridiculous. Also, McCarthy adaptations are currently 1 for 2, as they made the really awesome All the Pretty Horses into a supposedly awful movie with decent actors (Matt Damon and Penelope Cruz were in it, I believe). Here's hoping 3 for 4.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having not read the book, I can tell you this got my attention and makes me want to see it/read it. Especially after I looked it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do need to be fair though. The way the novel is structured, it would be virtually impossible to do an entirely faithful adaptation. So if a movie were to be made at all, the story would have to change a bit.

    I don't mind the wife being around (I assume she will just be a first act thing and then she will croak), but I am disappointed about the possibility that we might know why all this happened. I love how that is never addressed in the novel.

    The director is pretty great though. You should check out his western "The Proposition" with Guy Pearce. It's a beautiful movie. He also directed a music video for Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm actually half way through this book right now and found myself thinking last night how cool a movie would be. Weird!

    ReplyDelete