Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Mt. Rushmore of sports


I am pretty sure Skip Bayless was responsible for deciding this.

So in my copious amounts of unemployment time I have been watching a lot of T.V. ESPN decided to pick up Bill Simmons' idea of creating a Mt. Rushmore of sports for each city.

But fuck that, it's too complicated. On First and Ten (formerly Cold Pizza, a.k.a. Skip Bayless tries to pop a vein in his forehead screaming about A-Rod), they were talking about just a general Mt. Rushmore of sports.

To me, the first three are easy. It's Jordan, Ruth and Gretzky. You've got three major sports and super-recognizable guys who are arguably the best ever in their respective sports.

I have been struggling with number four. Is it Jack Nicklaus? Tiger? Some tennis player? I don't think it can be an NFL guy, as it's far too team-reliant to pick one guy who represents football.

So, who disagrees with my three? Who's the fourth?

7 comments:

  1. Drew Bledsoe. Easiest question ever. Him or Tiger Woods. It's a toss up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't argue with the first 3. Tiger Woods would win out over any tennis player (I think you would probably have to go with Federer as the tennis player). And I think Tiger would win over any football player (Brady, Young, Elway, Favre, Montana???). The problem is none of them stick out from the rest that much. If Brady comes back and dominates for another 5 years, I would say he would deserve real consideration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mutumbo!

    in all honesty i think it has to be a football guy. Mt Rushmore means AMERICA so you gotta put up the most popular sport. How about someone like Lombardi? My vote goes for Al Davis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really think (as much as I hate it) Favre would be a solid choice for football. He pretty much represents everything it means to be a QB.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gretzky is Canadian...doesn't that mean he doesn't qualify?

    ReplyDelete