Friday, February 27, 2009

The Unending Job Hunt

So, I've been unemployed basically since Nov. 7, 2008. It's getting old. I've sent out several resumes and cover letters a week. I can count on one hand the number of responses I've gotten (and that includes notice of receipt), and on one finger (preferably the middle finger) the number of interviews I've had. I'm constantly asking myself what am I doing wrong? I've got a solid cover letter, I've got a solid resume in a good modern format, so seriously, wtf? 

Am I looking in the wrong places? Most of my job hunting is online, I use craigslist extensively, I've got a good network of people in various places that I've gotten good tips from and have postings forwarded from them (this is where I got the only interview from a House Chief of Staff's mailing list, yay for random people!), and the HRC alumni list has been helpful too. It's fantastic that I'm getting several postings to my email every day. Unfortunately, just about everything out there is not entry level or anything that I can apply to. 

You name it, I've used it: USAJOBS, Idealist.org, Monster.com, Careerbuilder.com, Senate employment board, Massachusett's agencies job postings, the list goes on and on. What am I missing? Are there really no jobs out there for my level of experience? What other resources are out there? I feel like no one posts real jobs in newspapers any more. 

What are your thoughts on job hunting? Where would you be looking?

3 comments:

  1. I am in the same boat -- probably with less success. I check craigs and journalismjobs.com daily and try to apply to at least a job a day.

    It's totally disheartening to not even get a "we don't want you" e-mail. You just never hear back.

    I just heard back from Tim Wood *cough hack wheeze from the dust* and it looks like the Chronicle can use me to freelance for $50 an article, but who knows how much of a work load that is. Here's to hoping it turns into something more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I don't know what happened to common courtesy, but it has apparently gone out the window. There is seriously a black hole of online job applications, where resumes go to die. That's legit though about the chronicle gig.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerry, maybe nobody wants a dumb guy working for them? Excuse me while I laugh at my own comment. Love your best friend and supporter, Mark

    ReplyDelete