Monday, February 16, 2009

What that Smell Like?

What I'm into at the moment:

MUSIC

Arthur Russell - "Love is Overtaking Me": This album was compiled from a bunch of Russell's unreleased songs, and, while it doesn't have the cohesion of a usual album, the grand majority of the 20 plus songs are lo-fi, mainly acoustic gems.

Neil Young - "Comes a Time": Certainly not his most well-known or groundbreaking album, this one has captivated me recently with its amazing (per usual) lyrics and laid-back, glorious melodies. Vintage Neil Young.

MOVIES

Milk - I just saw this over the weekend and both my girlfriend and I loved it. I wasn't aware of the real-life events about which the movie was made, so that certainly made it a bit more interesting. Sean Penn was certainly great, and although I think I enjoyed Slumdog's visual style more (Milk seemed to me very run-of-the-mill cinematographically), all in all I think they are about even for my movie of the year vote.

BOOKS

Kurt Vonnegut - "Slaughterhouse Five": Vonnegut totally rules. My favorite thing about this book is how it is essentially a science fiction book but is also amazingly elegant and poignant.

SPORTS

Just watched Pitt beat UConn, which got me pretty amped for March Madness. Bring it on baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment