Saturday, March 14, 2009

All Things Music

Patrick Wolf's first single from his forthcoming album (which I have helped to fund and will therefore, according to his website, get a credit on the album for, which is soooo fucking cool) is available on his myspace, along with a picture of him in a bondage-type outfit (no, I'm not kidding, so probably NSFW). It is called "The Vulture", it has weird lyrics and a heavy dance/electronic vibe, and at first it weirded me out but now I dig it. One thing that I respect to no end about P-Wolf is that he really does seem totally artistically motivated. He is also totally nuts, and this combination makes me confident that anything that he releases, even if it isn't totally amazing (even though it usually is) will be at least not-consciously-affected by any sensibility other than the desire to make good music.



Pitchfork reported that dude-of-the-millenium Jack White has formed a new (non Raconteurs) band with the girl from the Kills and two other bums that I don't care about. The Dead Weather's first single is available for digging purposes on their website, along with a cover of a non-"Cars" Gary Numan song. Strangely, White only plays drums and sings. After giving the first song a listen, I like the heaviness of the guitars, although the singing didn't seem particularly interesting to me. However, I remain very hopeful that the new album will kick serious ass.



My friend at work told me about this website, which was described as "Digg for indie music", so obviously I was intrigued. It is really well designed, really simple to join and get into, and a totally rad idea. It is almost a game in that you try and earn "Rep" points by giving hearts (of which you have a limited number). Hearting songs that earn tons more hearts after you heart it gives you "Rep" points. It is totally lame but also horribly addictive, and a neat way to hear music that you might not normally give a chance. Unfortunately, no BJM or Patrick Wolf yet, which is an ultimate bummer (although they do have BSP). What intrigues me are the forces at work in trying to build a high "Rep". Obviously, there will be a scramble for new singles by popular bands (i.e., Fleet Foxes new single), but to earn shitloads of Rep points, it is necessary to heart bands before they become popular. Also, I just leveled up, which is hilarious. My point, before I got interrupted, is that in the end the way the point system works is that it really does encourage digging for great songs without a large following, which I think is really neat. Holy shit, I just found a Hood Internet combination of Single Ladies and Fleet Foxes, and my mind has just been blown beyond all comprehension.

No comments:

Post a Comment