Monday, March 9, 2009

March Madness 2009

Besides the World Cup (and admittedly, most other soccer tournaments), March Madness is easily my favorite sports playoff system. Almost every game is off the wall intense, and of the 63 games, it seems like at least a quarter of them come down to the final minute. The inclusion of at least one team from each conference in D-1 is, in my opinion, awesome, because every year there is a great cinderella story. Besides, if I went to school at, oh I don't know, Cornell, it would amp me up to no end to know that my school was going to be playing in March Madness (and getting absolutely demolished by some basketball power house). Now that ESPN realizes the interest that people now have in cinderella stories, they've started broadcasting a ton of games from the smaller conference tournaments (which have the same intensity, in most cases, as March Madness itself). I don't believe they did this (at least as much) in years past, but it is a rad and smart move. Essentially, they are extending March Madness (which, lets face it, pretty much everyone digs) farther backwards, and additionally getting people more interested in the early round games that can be blowouts by familiarizing people with teams like Siena and VCU, that actually can upset a top team in the tournament.

Additionally, I love spending half the day at work constantly refreshing the Live Scores page on ESPN to stay up to date with all the games. I don't know why they don't just give us the days off.

1 comment:

  1. Aw baby. it hasn't been quite as exciting this year because i couldn't go to the game when they clinched the ivy league this year, but yeah, it's pretty awesome.

    -Dudly

    ReplyDelete