Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Finding a decent hobby



So, I've had a lot of free time on my hands lately. Exorbitant amounts you might even say. Were it not for tv or the internet, I would probably know how it felt to be a farmer in the 1800s in the middle of winter. Really boring. Well, I've been thinking that I need to pick up a hobby, because quite honestly, free time has been something of a new concept to me. Working on general election I had 4 days off from June 1-Nov 4. Before that I had school to occupy me, and before that the NH primary took up every waking moment of my life. Long story short, you forget how to have fun on your own. Take a job with regular hours and a social life, trust me. So I've been trying to come up with a hobby that is cost effective, sustainable, and generally fun. Video games can be fun, but the last couple years I haven't been able to get into them as I have in the past. I don't know if its just my interests changing, because I still like them, or the games I've tried have just not hooked me. Even completing a game feels more like a chore than fun at this point. 
Beer making is fun, but its really just 90 minutes of boiling, 2 hours of cleaning, moving containers, bottling, and a lot of waiting. Then you have a lot of beer that may be of suspect quality and you also have to want to drink all of that, unless you have a place for a lot of people to enjoy it. So that's good once in awhile, but not long term as its own hobby. 
I've been running every day to get back into better shape, and I have to say, I still loathe running. I have several uncles in state and federal law enforcement, and they have to work out for their jobs, but they hate it as much as I do, so it must be genetic. I'll go along with that reasoning just because I can. So it doesn't look like marathon running or weight lifting will be my new hobby anytime soon.
Reading is great. Nothing like finding a book that you just can't put down. I actually did get a lot of reading done in NH. I managed to read the original books in the Dune series. Now that was a great series. But the thing with books is that its a hobby that consumes and doesn't produce. You pay for a book or borrow one from the library, but when you finish you don't have anything substantial to point to and say "yeah I did that." Not a huge sense of accomplishment or achievement.

So what do you all do for hobbies? Sitting around gets old, what've y'all got going on when you've got nothing else to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment