Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Job hunting sucks

Job hunting sucks enough to begin with, but it wasn't so bad only a year or two ago. Now, I don't mean to say that being unemployed at any point in time didn't suck, or that it was necessarily easier at one point or another, but there was a level of respect towards the applicant that seems to have been tossed in the dumpster next empty beer cans, dead cats, and the local homeless man. In the past if you applied for a job, you got an acknowledgement that you were considered and the job went to someone else. Fine, it's going to happen. You aren't going to get everything you put your name in for, but at the very least, you used to get confirmation that your application was received, even if they made it clear you wouldn't be contacted unless you were selected for an interview. What happened to that? I've sent out 31 applications and resumes to various employers and I've gotten just one response. One. 1. Uno. Ein. Even then it was just a one line rejection because I got the person's personal email address from a person that knew them. Where the fuck did common courtesy go? If someone sent me a response to a job that I posted I would feel pretty obligated to at the very least thank them for putting the effort in. I can only imagine how they treat their employees and clients when they can't take 5 seconds to try to expand their employee base. Bah.

No comments:

Post a Comment