Saturday, February 14, 2009

21st Century Breakdown: Or, How Depo learned to stop worrying and get pumped about Green Day again


With the Oscars only a week away (and my yearly top 10 list near completion) I don't have a whole lot to post about these days. Or do I?

Since Wig was the first to mention them on here, I don't feel as annoying as I normally would about randomly discussing Green Day...but we've got a new album coming out in May people and Depo needs to talk about it with someone. He is very excited/worried. Excited because he's read about how good it's going to be. Worried because he's read about how bad it's going to be.

Most of the major music networks/publications (Pitchfork has more "important" news to talk about) have written about six unmastered tracks that were sent to them. They talk a lot about new things (ie. Billie Joe singing falsetto, hand claps, more acoustic based rock and roll) and a lot about old things (punchy three-chord punk pop, snarling lyrics, groovy basslines, and politics). I'm anxious to hear how it will all sound. You can hear this weird 1 minute clip on their website here where, after a muffled lyric about the century we hear Who-like acoustic strums and Edge-friendly crap in the background. Supposedly this is from the first track and it sounds nothing like a Green Day tune. I'm assuming this is just a loop and not a minute of the same thing over and over again.

Anyways, as I've said before, I'm a bit worried Bono might have rubbed off on Billie Joe Armstrong. All that buddy buddy stuff at the Grammy's, the cover they performed together for New Orleans, and the general hanging out they've reportedly been doing makes me think we might get something that sounds more like Angels and Airwaves and less like...you know...Green Day. On the flip side, everything I read makes it sound great. They say it's ambitious, bold, and catchy.

Now, my zeal for 21st Century Breakdown is only beginning, but I thought maybe I could use this to segue into your thoughts. Is there an upcoming album you are excited about?

No comments:

Post a Comment