Thursday, February 5, 2009

Kobe vs. Lebron

Up until a few minutes ago, I didn't much care for this debate. But I just had something of an epiphany on the matter that I felt the need to share. Kobe has two rings, yes, but Kobe won those two rings play with Shaq, another legit All-Star. Unless my memory is being very selective (which it very well could be), from then until last year, Kobe's Lakers struggled to some extent with him as the one star. Last year, they were doing well, but one could argue that they didn't really become great until Pau (who, if not a legit star, is pretty close).

Now, with Lebron, he has never, ever had another player near all star caliber on his team (barring this year with Mo Williams), yet he has led the Cavs to the Finals one year and, last year, came ever so close to upsetting the Celtics in the playoffs.

My point here is that both are certainly capable of dominating a game, but Lebron seems to be able to do so more consistently with less help. That is, if Pau Gasol and Verajao (or whatever the fuck his name is) changed teams, there is no way anyone is beating the Cavs. They have never had any type of interior scorer with Lebron on the time. Furthermore, I think Lebron would be able to integrate a good secondary scorer into the lineup better than Kobe has, since despite being a physically much bigger dude than Kobe, it seems like he gets at least as many assists.

Keep in mind too that my argument applies only currently. I think, unless Lebron goes seriously off the rocker or Kobe has a Bondsian later career, it would be very, very tough to argue that Kobe's career, when it ends, would be equal to Lebron's. As proof, just consider that Kobe's first few seasons (or at least maybe his first two) weren't particularly impressive, but Lebron's were pretty solid seasons, and he's just improved from there.




Side note: fuck Derek Fisher. His flopping antics got Garnett's sixth foul tonight.

PS Game just ended. Refs suck balls, fuck Kobe, fuck the Lakers, I hate them so much.

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favorite sports debates right now.

    I was thinking about it today and I do think it is somewhat of an unfair question, as Kobe is an established star while LeBron - as great as is/will be - is still only in his fifth year in the league.

    That said, I will defend Kobe until I think he's not the best anymore. I hate the Lakers as much as the next person - they're a bunch of sissy floppers who are soft - but to me, Kobe is the best basketball player in the NBA.

    LeBron is a force of nature - a ridiculous athlete who is more football player than hoops player. Still, he is nearly unstoppable under the way the rules are constructed. Great passer, very good help defender and getting better as a shooter.

    But Kobe is across the board a better basketball player. Better shooter, awesome defender (and not just weak side BLOX!! that get on Sportscenter), better free throw shooter and has Jordan's killer instinct. I truly think he worries about his legacy and wants so bad to win and be the best. While I think LeBron wants to be the biggest celeb in the world.

    I even think people forget Dwayne Wade is from the same draft class as LeBron and you could argue he is better. Even though I think it is a foolish barometer, he does have a ring on his own.

    Oh, and this game was bull. It was 8-on-5 the whole night. KG's sixth was absolute bunk and not giving Ray Allen the call on that at the end of O.T. was bull.

    ReplyDelete