Monday, February 2, 2009

Super Bowl Recap

Great, great game last night. I think my favorite part was the post-win very-drunk-Big-Dog telephone conversation (which began with "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"). Some comments re: the glory that was:

1. When are they going to get Bowie to do the halftime show? I would love that to no end. He's so nuts that it would undoubtedly be amazing, especially if it was stipulated that he had to wear his Ashes to Ashes video costume.

2. No gadget plays from the Wizard??? LAME! It was too bad he didn't have a 1st and goal from 2 gadget play (BOOM ROASTED).

3. I think a lot of this resentment is because I've been reading reader comments on ESPN articles about the game all day, but I'm so tired of hearing people complain about the calls in the game. I think the Burress catch, Harrison TD, and Roethlisberger TD (reversed) were all basically judgment calls. All went the Steelers way originally (and in my attempting-to-be-objective opinion, they all looked like they should have), and I thought all 3 were too close to overturn. Regarding the roughing the passer on the Cardinals, that has gotten called all year. Is it lame. Fuck yes! Should it be called like it has been all year? Fuck yes! I thought one call that was pretty iffy that totally almost reamed the Steelers was the hold in the endzone. That was really borderline, in my glorious opinion, and that iffiness was multiplied by the fact that the Steelers would have been much closer to putting that game away if it was a no-call. Admittedly, if I was a Cards fan, I would have been ripshit about the lack of a review on the game ending fumble, but apparently the booth looked at it and thought it didn't have to be reviewed.

4. I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse, but any lingering haters of Big Ben should be silenced after that ludicrous last drive. Despite a sieve-like offensive line, he evaded a sack on nearly every play on that drive (which probably took about 10 years off of my life) and led the Steelers on a drive that I will delight in seeing highlights of for years to come. I still can't believe how well that last drive went considering how much pressure he was under on every play. Unbelievable.

5. James Harrison is the scariest (and, maybe, best) dude ever. In addition to the obvious great play, I think he forced the Cards' O-line into at least two or three holds (one of which involved him being held so blatantly that, despite there being nobody (and only about two feet) between him and Warner, he was unable to get to him).

6. I was surprised the Steelers didn't try and run more during the third quarter. It would have set up the play-action for Ben and I think if they had stuck with it more (and what reason did they have not to, since they were up), they could have probably worn down the Cards' D.

7. A lot of people made a big deal about the Steelers defense falling apart in the fourth quarter, but considering how insanely good Warner is against the blitz and the talent of the receivers he was throwing to, I think it would be hard for anyone to stop them from getting a first down if they have four downs to do it and are going to throw every down (which was essentially the situation for the whole fourth quarter). I don't know why they ever tried to run the ball. The only thing that killed me about the Steelers D was the Fitzgerald catch-and-run, which was a hideous break-down.

8. So much historical foresightedness going on. ESPN's top 10 last night were the best plays in Super Bowl history. 3 from this game were on there. Sorry Larry, but your catch was not a top 10 play. Maybe if it was the game winner, but since it wasn't, I think not. Harrison's INT, I think, should be. That was so nuts in so many ways, and I think Holmes' catch deserved a top-2 place. Tyree's was probably better (more insane and even though it wasn't a TD, I'm pretty sure it saved the game, as it was 4th down). However, ESPN was saying best Super Bowl ever. I haven't seen every Super Bowl, but I feel like this one had too many lulls in great action to be the best (definitely the best I've seen though, but I'm biased). And I might even argue that it could be the best 4th quarter in a Super Bowl ever, what with the wild comeback and then the drive to end all drives.

All in all though, an amazing game for a Steelers fan, and I thought a pretty fun game for a neutral.

1 comment:

  1. Sign me up for a Rod Stewart halftime show (has he done it?!).

    ReplyDelete