Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Weekly Mojo

This week's killer shit:

MUSIC:

The Stooges - Fun House: I love Iggy's solo stuff but really dislike Raw Power (despite being producd by D-Bow himself), so I didn't think I would much like Fun House (the Stooges' second album and precedent to Raw Power). Where Raw Power trades in high energy, in-your-face proto-punk, Fun House musically is a bit more relaxed musically, and at times almost droney. My favorite aspect is how primal and animalistic it all seems, as half of Iggy's seems to be nonsensical shrieking and screaming. Experimental in parts, vintage classic rock in others (the first song has an absolutely killer riff), but always grade A tuneage.

Passion Pit - Chuck of Change: Billed by one article I read as this year's MGMT (this did nothing to endear them to me), Passion Pit is a Boston-based band specializing in solid electro-pop that, even on their six (seven, but one is a remix) song EP show nice versatility with the rad Fujiya & Miyaga soundalike "I've Got Your Number" and undeniable jam "Sleepyhead", which reminds me of a tamer Crystal Castles.

Dennis Wilson - Pacific Ocean Blue: Every time I go back to this album, I enjoy it a bit more. Wilson's only solo album gives the listener an at-times unsettling view into the sleazy early 70's LA world Wilson inhabited shortly before his death. However, there is also undeniable beauty, especially with album opener "River Song" (about a need to get away from city living) and the penultimate track "Rainbows". However, for every seemingly carefree jam, there is a "Pacific Ocean Blues" to dampen the mood. Sample line: "It's no wonder/that the Pacific Ocean is blue".

MOVIES:
The Edge Of Heaven - I just watched this German/Turkish film tonight after reading a bunch of good reviews and seeing it on a lot of year-end lists. It was pretty solid, very artsy and deliberate, which I can find troublesome and there were some very nice, poignant scenes throughout. Overall, probably a B, but on Wigcritic, I would guess a 0, 10 max (boom roasted).

BOOKS:
Just finished Blood Meridian and Consider the Lobster and both owned to no end. Right now I'm reading Lolita by Nabokov, which is maybe the most beautifully written book I've ever read. I feel like I should take an hour on each page just to unpack all the insane metaphors and references he uses.

TV: Real World tomorrow, time to set it off.

2 comments:

  1. haha, Jesse, fuck u! but u gave me a great idea, wigcritic may be a new regular installment

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am 99% sure this is "get in there and clean it up." Mark your calendars gentlemen, this day will live in infamy.

    ReplyDelete